Name:
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

I started off my career as a part-time IT trainer while I was in college. While I trained, I learned more on software. Now, I am trying to realize my dreams of building socially viable engineering solutions for consumers.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Embedded System and Embedded Software

Ok - a list of Google searches will give you all the definitions you wanted in this world. But I would like to keep things simple. Also, to start with, a definition of embedded system would be good to keep both our understanding the same throughout.

Definition:
Embedded: Something that has become a part of another completely so that it is not easily distinguishable from the whole

Embedded System: A system as a whole that solves a particular purpose, as opposed to a 'generic' system that seems to give a 'universal solution' to all the problems in computing
My view: The purpose for which the system is built is "embedded" (as above) in its making.
Example: TV, Calculator, Mobile Phone, Refrigerator - these all solve "very specific" problems as opposed to a "laptop" that can act as any of the above (except refrigerator - as of date ;-) ).

Embedded Software: Software that is used to build and make the embedded system work. Basically, such software is written in languages such as C/C++/Java and Assembly (though more of high level languages are dominating in the industry now).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home